The opposite of a well written blog post

"Be your own worst critic. When things go wrong it's tempting to shift the blame. Don't.
Accept responsibility. People will appreciate it, and you will find out what you're capable of".

I've just finished reading the book "Whatever you think, think the opposite" by Paul Arden and this quotation caught my attention, basically because its content reflects a thought that I've always had.
"Be your own worst critic": never related more.
It's not about being severe with yourself, it's about looking at your work, thought or behaviour as you would look at the work, thought or behaviour of someone else. Not more, nor less.
Why should you reduce the blame when it comes to you? It's about responsibility, a part of the growing up process.
No one knows your abilities and your limits, your ambitions and expectations, better than yourself, and, therefore, it goes without saying that no judgement can be more reliable than yours.
We always prefer taking the easiest way to reach satisfaction (or - at least - what we believe it is) by painting ourselves as alienated indivduals, distant from the spectrum of mistakes; from this perspective, shifting the blame results an automathic act. But the worst part comes at the end of the journey, when we realise that the mistakes we were trying to avoid are still there (maybe even in an exagereted form) and we can't fix them unless we take the responsibility for them.
I usually succeed in being a very bad critic of my self and this time - once I have re-read this post -  won't be different. I will surely find something wrong with it (maybe it won't reflect the original idea I had for this post) but hey, at least I'm here, ready to serve my sentence for writing of a personal thought in a random and arguably interesting way.

Comments

  1. Good to see your blog running! Don't be too harsh to yourself here, though, but try to find pleasure in writing for your colleagues and me. It looks as if you have interesting things to say. Enjoy blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts